Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Third Nipple

Mom had her chemo port surgically inserted early this afternoon. She was sedated for the procedure. Suzy said at one point Mom told the doctor, "I love morphine." Well, we all know what that means. Thankfully the doctor must have had the appropriate filters in place and understood that Mom is not an addict.

I spoke with Mom tonight. She said she woke up while the surgeon was still stitching up, but that it wasn't painful. In fact, she said she still feels nothing except the stitches. She doesn't know how many stitches she has, just that she has two layers of them.

The chemo port will serve as an easy access point for delivery of her chemotherapy injections. It is inserted underneath the skin of her chest, and connects to a large vein close to the heart. Placing the port under her skin greatly reduces the risk of infection. We met with the doctor who performed her surgery several weeks ago. At that time he explained the procedure and how the port and the catheter will work. Mom doesn't have any extra body fat to speak of, so he said the port location would be noticable. Since that appointment we have affectionately referred to the port as her third nipple.

You can see how Mom's chemo port connects to her circulatory system here.

The next step is Mom's first chemo injection, which is scheduled July 3. The chemo will treat her whole body, including the primary tumor in her lung. The reason for the delay in treatment is to give her recovery time from her recently completed radiation therapy, and to allow her to enjoy the upcoming family reunion without the side effects of the chemo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose Mary-

My name (as Pat would call me) is "Cheryl Meryl" Minthorn. I am a friend of Pat's and have met you a few times down here in Grand Rapids.

I just wanted to let you know,that I think of you and your family often and I am keeping you all in my prayers.

I must say that I am truly amazed at your sense of humor and unwaviering faith! Your positive attitude testiment for us all!

Much Love,
Cheryl Meryl

Anonymous said...

Hello, Rose Mary!

I too, enjoy your sense of humor :-)

As one who, like you, seeks to find the lighter side of life, even when things get heavy; I am encouraged by your sparkle, as you perservere.

You and yours, are in my thoughts, and prayers.

Blessings,

Dorwin Gray

Pat said...

Thanks for visiting, Dorwin!
Mom, Dorwin is a friend I met through home fellowship at my church. He's good at praying. ;)