Thursday, January 15, 2009

You Are There

Mom's funeral brought family and friends together from Boyne City, Traverse City, Elk Rapids, South Boardman, Alma, Grand Rapids, and Englewood, Florida. Her casket was surrounded with flowers in pinks and purples, and an urn containing Dad's remains stood near her head. Paul delivered a beautiful eulogy. Although Mom didn't want tears at her funeral, I know she would have approved.

The day of Mom's and Dad's interment couldn't have been colder or windier. We huddled together for warmth as Paul shared scriptures of hope with us. He stated that Mom and Dad both wanted to live as long as possible, and that our family did our best to assure their wishes were granted. It was a welcome affirmation.

Mom's great hope was that Jesus' return would occur in her lifetime and that she would never see death. There were times during her illness we thought her tenacity might pay off and she'd get her wish. Even though the vehicle wasn't the one she hoped for, we know she is now with the One she so longed to see with her eyes and hear with her ears.

Psalm 139:7-12

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.



Good night, Mom. We'll see you in our dreams.

No comments: