Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year

Last night Mom and I held hands as the ball dropped, with Olivia and Cameron wishing her enthusiastic Happy New Years.

Mom has been sleeping almost constantly since Sunday. On Tuesday night her breathing was very labored and she was unresponsive. Suzy's attempts to administer her supplemental morphine have been unsuccessful, only causing Mom to cough. She hasn't eaten or swallowed medication since Saturday afternoon. Dr. Karkosak is out of town but gave Suzy his cell number in case she needs to call. We love Dr. Karkosak.

Tina and Mike came from Traverse yesterday. Mom opened her eyes a couple of times during the visit and responded to caresses by closing them.

Before turning in she opened her eyes more than she had during the day. When I told her I loved her she moved her lips a little but didn't speak. I opened up Psalm 139 and read to her, and as I read she turned her head toward me. So after 139 we read 42 and several others, until I was sure she was asleep.

She passed the night well and as I write this I can hear her occasionally cough and snore. Her breathing is much better than it was Tuesday night and she seems relaxed.

This morning Bill and Pattie plan to come up, and Tina and Tami will follow, maybe with Aunt Dorothy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update.

Take care,
Lois