Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Home for the Holidays

Every holiday and family event since Mom's diagnosis in March 2007 has carried with it the knowledge that it may be our last special day together. Last Christmas was no different. Yet here we are, one Christmas later, celebrating the birth of the One who defeated death for us.

I have a few pictures from Christmas but I can't find my camera cable to upload them. I'll post them later and update you now.

On Christmas Eve Mom was quieter than she had been in recent days, but was responsive both verbally and physically. On Christmas Day she was less responsive, sleeping most of the day and not very verbal. Since Christmas, she has continued to be quiet, most times looking at us when we speak but with no acknowledgment in her eyes. When I spoke to Suzy on Monday, Mom had slept all of Sunday. She was awake for part of her nurse visit Monday morning and followed Colleen with her eyes at one point. Her vitals weren't great but not horrible: oxygen 91, blood pressure 150/84, pulse 114 and mostly regular, lungs clear.

I left for Grand Rapids in a hurry Saturday evening when Paul suggested I do so to avoid the approaching blizzard. Even though Mom was very quiet, she responded consistently to my I love yous and I'll miss yous and hugs. Mom has her priorities straight.

We hope you all had a peaceful and joyous Christmas. Thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers for Mom and our family.

No comments: