Friday, November 23, 2007

Snow

Tuesday night on the way home from the hospital the snow came. It began, for Suzy and me, just south of Petoskey with a few flurries and quickly surged to white out conditions. The trip was slow and a little scary since I was driving the Jag which has rear wheel drive, a lot of torque, and consequently not very good on slippery roads. We got a healthy four inches of snow over the night. Thanksgiving plans that had already been altered with Mom's hospital stay changed again. Bill and Pattie planned to drive from Traverse Thursday morning, but had to turn back. I had planned to go up early to spend the day with Mom, but after the drive the night before I decided to wait and go when the Wises went as a family.

I checked in on Mom several times during the day, and most times I woke her up from a nap. She slept most of the day - no doubt because she needed the rest. We didn't arrive at the hospital until around 5:30 p.m. and she was sound asleep. We woke her of course, and served her homemade Thanksgiving dinner complete with pumpkin and pecan pie.

Dr. Knitter has Mom sitting in a chair to take her meals now. She still has to keep her leg elevated, and she cannot have constriction where her leg meets her torso. The doctor will not release her until she can walk on her own, and she is not yet ready. We didn't see the doctor yesterday so we don't know if there is an estimated time of release. I'm sure we'll know more today.

The doctor and nurses are keeping an eye on Mom for changes in behavior. She took a good knock to the head, and although it's not the primary concern at this point it still needs to be watched. In 1996, Dad fell and hit his head while shoveling snow, and even though he had a MRI of his skull after suffering a siezure, he developed a large subdural hemotoma over a few weeks due to a small leak not found in the MRI. So, we're a little concerned about Mom's bump to her head. Mom's night nurse assured Suzy last night that she would keep an eye on her, and Dr. Knitter told me Wednesday that they would do a scan of her head before discharge.

We took more pictures, but as I mentioned before the internet connection here is slow and I can't get the pictures loaded to this website. But I will do my best to give you all updates on her Mom's progress.

Happy Black Friday! Shop safe!

No comments: