Tuesday, November 13, 2007

New Chemo Today

Today was Mom's first day to receive the new chemo. The new brain and spleen tumors were an indicator that the previous chemotherapy was no longer working. Her new chemo is Alimta, otherwise known as Pemetrexed. Alimta is supposed to be particularly good for treatment of lung cancer.
Typically, Mom's chemo appointments are an all day affair. Today, the actual chemo injection only took about 15 minutes, shortening the visit a bit. Suzy told me tonight that Mom was a little disappointed that she didn't get any Benadryl this visit because she wanted to take a nap. You know, when the morphine isn't available anymore you look forward to the soft core stuff like Benadryl.
Side effects with Alimta were a concern; fatigue and nausea are typical after administration. But so far Mom is feeling great. In fact, as I write this tonight Mom is out with the Wises eating appetizers at Applebee's - her idea.
Suzy reminded me tonight that I have a couple pictures in my cell phone of Mom's visit to Midland. Unfortunately, I have to have drivers to upload the pictures to my computer, and until I figure out how to get them - or find the software in the box my phone came in - I can't share the pictures. Unless you bump into me on the street and think to ask "Hey, how about those gamma knife photos of Rose Mary?" Unlikely. So I'll get the drivers.

No comments: