Thursday, June 5, 2008

In My Dreams

When we last left our heroine she was seen reclined in 250+ thread count comfort watching musicals and entertaining us with her vocabulary. She's still there. Bill, Pattie, Jessy and Tyler came for a visit on Sunday. We mostly hung out in the room and talked while Mom drifted in and out of her nap.

Vital Care Nurse Catherine visited on Monday to draw blood and check the IV. Mom finished her course of cipro on Saturday night, and since she was well hydrated Cathering removed the IV tubing from her port - on Dr. Karkosak's orders. This will give her body a couple of days to get rid of the excess fluid, a problem we are happy to have after the shananagans of Memorial Day weekend. When she needs fluids again, we'll be ready.

All Mom's vital signs are good - pulse, blood pressure, temp - and her lungs sound clear. Her ankles and knees are swollen from fluid. This may be due in part to the hospitalist's orders to give her 100 ml p/hour prior to her discharge. Dr. Galloway asked him to reduce it to 10 ml, but he did not. Dr. Karkosak dropped it back when Mom arrived home. Who knew too much sodium chloride could be a bad thing? We went from famine to feast in no time flat. Suzy is continuing with the 250 mg magnesium morning and night, with Dr. Karkosak's consent.

Mom's been sleeping a lot this week and talking less. The kids make regular visits to Grandma to draw her out. Sometime soon I'll post a list of her famous sayings of recent past. But I can share my personal favorite with you. Every night at bed time Mom and I have a routine. I say, "I love you so much." She says, "I love you too, Patty." I say, "I'll see in my dreams." She usually says, "I'll see you in mine," but this particular night she replied, "Well, let's not get maudlin here."

Now, that's my mother.

No comments: