Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Best Medicine

Last week Mom's labs came back positive for a UTI. The first one in two months. This time instead of pills Mom is getting her cipro through her port. We just take her off the sodium chloride for the hour it takes the cipro to drip in, then hook it back up. Suzy's got it down. However, I messed up on the IV computer while changing bags. It didn't affect Mom at all, it just threw off the cc counter on the computer which helps us keep track of what she's received. I guess there's a good reason I'm not in the health care field.

Anyway, the cipro is doing its job, and so far we have not had to administer flagyl to prevent c. diff. infection. She has been getting yogurt every day with a special additive to encourage growth of good bacteria. Since it's been so long since her last UTI, Dr. Karkosak recommended witholding the flagyl until we knew we needed it. So far, so good - no flagyl.

Mom's appetite has improved. She is receiving her morphine through a 72 hour patch and receives liquid motrin four times a day. She is still taking her Toprol for blood pressure, and occasionally gets half an ambien to help her sleep at night. That's it. Such a change from a few short months ago when we were grinding 10-12 pills twice a day to mix into her yogurt. So much easier for her.

When the television is on, she sometimes has trouble distinguishing between people in the room and people on the program. She has thought at times that she was on TV herself. Last weekend, she was fascinated by several of the commercials. Her favorites were:
  • Hillshire Farms - Go Meat! (Patty - those guys are back!)
  • Silence Your Rooster (Isn't it cute!)
  • Smirnoff (Did you see that?)
The conversation has been lively - sometimes zaney, sometimes profound. We never know what she'll say next. Predictability is out the window. Laughter reigns. Mixed with her snappy sense of humor, her responses are sometimes enough to knock us off our feet. I know I could never really do our exchanges the justice they deserve in the telling, but I'll try sharing a few.

(Motioning to the flag waving in the breeze across her door)
I just hate that thing.

(Mom to Evan)
I keep telling myself I need to get a fly swatter.
We have a fly swatter.
Where is it?
It's right over there.
Well, the flies are down here.
(Pat to Mom, when a small crash sounds from Evan's direction while retrieving the swatter)
I hope he's okay.
(Mom laughs) Oh, he bounces.

(Mom to Evan)
The less you talk, the less tedious you are to me.

(Watching God TV Sunday morning, Mom to Pat)
Oh, there's a guy in the window.
He's a preacher.
I don't care WHO he is!

(Trying to swat a fly on her arm)
Oh...I almost said damn it.

(Mom to Pat, smiling)
I just pulled a pistol on your friend.
You just pulled a pistol on my friend?
Uh huh. (nodding, smiling)
Which friend?
(Pointing to the flag waving across the doorway) That one.

We finished chapter 15 of The Shack on Sunday. The chapter was about heaven, reconciliation, redemption, communion with Jesus - it was beautiful. She wanted me to read it again, so we re-read the end of the chapter on Monday.

Sunday was the Kratochvil family reunion in Traverse City. Most of her cousins were there. Mom has not been out of bed since June; attempting a trip an hour and a half away and sitting up for hours would have been too much for her. I didn't tell her Sunday that she was missing the reunion, but I talked to her about each of her cousins so she had them all in mind. Aunt Dorothy told me later that the family had a moment of silence to remember Mom in their prayers since she couldn't be with them. So, they were together from a distance.

Our I love yous are still heartfelt and plentiful with lots and lots of kisses.

Following are a few pictures from the last two weekends.

Tami, Devon and Mom.

Tina, Makayla and Mom.
Tami and Mom.
What? Not another pair of sunglasses?!Mom laughing on Sunday. Mike, Mom and Tina.
Thanks as always for your continued prayers. They're priceless to us.

No comments: