Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Home Again

Mom was discharged on Monday, day fifteen of her stay. Suzy and I brought her home early in the evening. She acquired some extra gear - a catheter and a new nebulizer. Mom qualifies for skilled nursing in the home because her blood needs to be tested regularly while she is on coumadin. This is a real blessing; another set of hands to help with Mom, and less trips to the doctor. She also qualifies for physical therapy in the home, which will help her regain the strength she lost during her hospital stay.

Mom became increasingly disoriented over the weekend, and until today was still confused and unresponsive to commands. But today she is much better. At least that's what Suzy tells me; Mom was distracted by Animal Planet while we were talking today, which made for interesting conversation.

Mom's first full day home was rough. But today was much better. Suzy is giving Mom great care, and Mom is happy to be home.

Below are some pictures of Bill's and Pattie's visit on Saturday:

Cody with Mom above. He told me I could send my phone pictures to the internet - never thought of that! I didn't figure that out, but I did find I could email the pictures to myself. Thanks Cody!

Mom had many fine nurses and techs who took good care of her and showered her with attention. Unfortunately, I only took one picture of any of them. Mom is with nurse Sara below.

On Sunday, Suzy and I stopped at Walmart (actually, every day we stopped at Walmart either coming or going), and she found a clearance on hunter's orange caps. She bought one for each of the boys. When Corey, Jaime and Evan came to the hospital, Evan put one of the hats on Mom. She loved it! Poor Cameron may never get his cap. Tech Linda gave her lots of compliments on the new chapeau.

Oh yeah - and Suzy bought Mom's favorite cookies while we were at it.

Caught up in the moment, Evan shared a touching story from the movie Spinal Tap.

Apparently, Mom found the drama in it.

Techs Pat and Linda spent a long time saying goodby to Mom. We appreciated their genuine affection for her. When we arrived home Mom wanted to go straight to bed, so we tucked her in, clothes and all. She wore Connie's hat home, and Evan topped her off with the orange cap.

Mom receives her first oral chemo on Friday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosie-

My name is Cheryl Minthorn. Known lovingly as "Cheryl Meryl" by Pat. You probabley don't remember me, but I wanted to let you know that I enjoy your sense of humor and I admire your faith and conviction. You are truly an inspiration to us all. Know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Love, Cheryl